Saturday, April 26, 2014

Rainy Days and Slow Times Always Get Me Down

Heart and Sole 5k
April 26, 2014

Well the first race of the season was wet...really wet...and slow.  When I woke up this morning I was hoping that it was just going to be cloudy.  When I hopped into the car to head to Rigby, I was still hopeful.  Just a few raindrops...nothing more then a sprinkle.  As I drove the 20 miles to the race,  the rain started to come down and the windshield wipers were moving faster...and faster...and faster. I should not have been surprised, we have been getting our share of rain lately. (Not sure when I moved to Seattle).

When I found a parking spot, I headed to the start line.  I wisely decided to keep my jacket on over my shirt so I pinned my number on as I went.  My hands were already cold.  Not a good sign. (Note to self..have some spare gloves).  I made my way  to the growing group of runners and got in line near the back. (I recently developed a new philosophy that it is better to be near the back because the number of people passing you is not as discouraging.)  I paced and jumped up and down a bit.  I didn't have long to wait.  I had planned it so I didn't have to stand out in the rain too long before it started.

We counted down and were on our way.  There were a lot of runners.  I started out really well.  I had an excellent pace going.  I picked out a couple people that I could match pace with..and that always helps.  The course was a long stretch of road and then took the loop around Jefferson County Lake (We always call it Rigby Lake).  The race was steady, but so was I.  

Mile 1 came... Rigby High School students holding signs and cheering us on.  They were real troopers standing in the rain.  Around the lake I went...mile 2.  I was feeling pretty good...then hit a wall.  The wall that I seem to hit somewhere between mile 2 and 3.  I was starting to feel it.  I slowed a bit...and I walked a bit.  I know there are people out there...that group of "runners" who think that walking at any time during a race is a shame.  I am not one of those.  Whatever keeps you moving forward to the end...whatever you have to do...there is no shame in walking.

With a combination of running with a little walking mixed in, I was in sight of the finish line.  This is the part that I really love. My adrenalin starts to ramp up.  I feel it kick in and I take off sprinting.  I am happy to say I passed four people on my way to the finish line.  I am even happier to say that after that sprint..I am guessing just over 100m..I left it all there.  As I crossed over that line, I thought I was going to pass out.  I walked over to grab a snack and a drink then walked off.  I sat on the bleachers in the rain to cheer some of the others on.  I went and got my results.  I knew that it wasn't terrific, but I am not ashamed that my first race of the season I finished in 36:57.

I love the Heart and Sole 5K.  This is the 3rd year they have held it, and the 3rd year I have run it.  I look forward to it again next year (minus the rain).  Until then, I will be looking forward to more races...bettering my body...my mind...and my times...hopefully.

Meanwhile here I type with my best friend by my side...goes by the name Icy Hot.
Chubby girl out.

No comments:

Post a Comment