Thursday, August 25, 2011

Supporting the community

Ririe Days/ Kelly Canyon 5k
July 16th 2011

The day of my 3rd race was a Saturday (actually they have all been on Saturdays).  I was excited to run in Ririe to help celebrate Ririe Days.  I try and support the community I work in as much as possible.  The whole family made the trip with me this time.  I also had two good friends running with me.  When I get there I also find my grandparents and my parents have shown up to support me.  This is the first race I have had this many people there and it made me nervous.    You would think that it would make me feel at ease...but no way.

Just a little note here...I never eat before a race.  I guess some people do, but not me.  I always feel sick immediately following a race (and actually right before...nerves are still a problem).  I have heard that if you actually throw up then you know that you ran hard. I am terrified to be someone that comes over the finish line and throws up to be caught in someones (probably mine) Kodak moment.

We line up to race.  I have been talking to my racing buddies...the gun fires and we are off.   The race is very rural...well because Ririe is about as rural as you can get.  It is a really nice race and just warm enough.  I was feeling pretty good.  A little breeze...scenery is nice to watch as I am passing by.

Another note here...I love races that have water stations along the way....seriously I know in my heart that 5k is not that far, but I love that the race coordinators think about us.  Kudos to Ririe for this!

I cross the finish line to find my whole family waiting and cheering for me.  It was so nice.  I was very overwhelmed by it all.  Maybe they are the reason I came in with a time of  36:12...once again beating my time.  I was there to watch my running buddies come across the finish line.

Thanks to my dad I actually had pictures of me racing so check them out.

What I learned from this race is...that it is great to have family pulling for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment