Friday, August 19, 2011

Showing my Skillz at the Skiller 5k

Skiller 5k
June 4th 2011

I signed up for my second race the day I got home from running the M.A.D.  I was on pure adrenalin then and I don't know if I was thinking straight.  I found this race on the Teton Running Company website (by the way those guys down there are so awesome).  So I signed up and once again had race registration remorse.  Both races thus far had been for good causes, the first one for Donny Osmond hearing and the Skiller a scholarship fund for a Hillcrest student who passed away.  I figured even if I chickened out I was giving a charitable contribution.

This race was held along the Greenbelt and started at Snake River Landing Pier.  I remember getting there (with my hubby this time).  There was a cool breeze...almost too cool...thank you makers of UnderArmour!!  We had some time before the race to talk to people.  Brandon (my hubby) is a Hillcrest alumni and I had the opportunity to student teach many of the kids that I saw gathered around.

After a few announcements we headed to the starting line.  I remember them telling us not to knock anyone down (we were running straight through the Farmer's Market).  I could just imagine someone (or myself) knocking over a stand of vegetables.  At the gun...(freaks me out every time) we ran through the market and then onto the Greenbelt.  This race was great.  I loved running by the water.  The horrible part was the end of the race.  Perhaps the last 1/2 mile, we had to run down a dirt road and turn back.  This is where I learned that I HATE running on loose gravel.   It didn't matter though because 39 minutes and 26 seconds later I ran across the finish line.

The things I gained from my second race were these: 1) A better time than my first race and 2) A deep love for Orange Leaf (Yummm yummm we got free frozen yogurt) and 3) The knowledge that this  chubby girl can run!

No comments:

Post a Comment