Sunday, September 18, 2011

A 10k future???

I am really excited for my next race.  It is still a ways off...October 15th.  I have still been running 3-4 days a week to get ready.  I have been running between 2-4 miles each time, saving long runs for Saturdays when I have more time.  Yesterday, I decided to run to the foothills and back (approximately 6 miles).  I left after telling my husband that if I did not come back in an hour he may have to come and pick me up.  I told him I would probably be in a heap on the side of the road.

I know what you are saying...don't you have more confidence in yourself?  The answer "no."  Although I have gained self-confidence in this journey it is hard to get rid of so many years of self-doubt.  I took off running.  I really enjoyed getting out of the residential areas where I have spent most of my time.  There are fields on both sides much of the way with an occasional house.  I got to the foothills and made it about halfway up...then...I ran out of gas.  I never changed my pace to run up hill and well I had been sticking to pretty flat to this point.  I walked the rest the way up (this is hard to confess).  So...after walking for a minute I ran back down and started the loop back home.

I was jogging at a modest pace I would say, until I saw a snake in the middle of the road.  (Did I mention I am NOT a fan of snakes).  Seeing that thing I picked up my pace.  I told my husband I do not know if that thing was alive or dead, but I was not going to stick around to find out.  I was tired by then.  I had run about 3-1/2 miles.  Then I see something to my left.  It was a flash of black and white.  I took off again.  Skunk??  I thought so, but I never stuck around to see.

I made it back into my neighborhood and was about 1/4 of a mile from home when my husband pulled to the side of the road.  He had made good on his promise to come get me after an hour (well 1 hour and 3 minutes).  I am sure I could have made it the rest of the way home, but one cannot resist an offer so tempting.  Here it is the next day and I have to admit that I feel the same way I did after my first 5k.  How is that you ask?  I feel like someone beat me close to death.  Of course part of it was the running and the other may be attributed to the Tylenol PM I took before bed because my legs were burning.

I learned a couple of things from this: 1) I can run a 10k distance (with more practice) and 2) A run through the country can be exciting and definitely help you build some speed.

All this and I forgot to mention the dog that was chasing me.....hahaha.

1 comment:

  1. You definitely had an interesting run. My sorta runs are nearly that interesting. I just fall flat on my face every single time...My nose is getting rather tough from all the scratching on it.

    ReplyDelete